Wednesday, January 24, 2007

walking...

Do you live in a city where you drive to get to the corner? I do... boy are we lazy asses in this city.... everywhere you go seems like it's miles and miles away... why is it that we always have to drive everywhere? have we forgotten the beauty and healthiness of taking a short walk? or a long walk.... and not to mention that we are polluting the earth and causing horrible global warming (please learn about global warming and how you can help www.stopglobalwarming.org). Anyway... as you all know I had a car accident not long ago and well... we've been managing without one car quite fine... (the other car is still getting worked on)I work only 2 miles away from home... (ok 1.80 to be exact)... so on Monday I had the brilliant idea of telling my g/f not to pick me up because I had decided to walk home... what a marvelous idea that was. After I got out of the office... off i was on my little adventure... it was quite a pleasant walk, I must say I noticed things that I had never ever seen before and I have been driving right by them for a year... isn't that sad? ah.. to get to your destination by your two own feet, what a great way of transportation and oh how much satisfaction it brought. I loved it! I loved walking and enjoying that time all for myself, without people talking to me, phones ringing or a computer screen (don't get me wrong I'm a geek at heart, I love computers) but to be away from all that daily noise and just take a 40 minute walk felt great. I wanted more the next day.... I started walking home and half way there I realized the Farmer's Market was up as it is every Tuesday, I've driven right by that farmer's market so many many times, perhaps for YEARS... and for the very first time I walked right into it... it was like walking into a little fair... there was food, free yummy samples all over, smiling and welcoming faces... I only had a couple of bucks in my pocket so i bought a small bag of kettle corn.... they had fruit there, vegetables, nuts, juices... all organic.... even homemade tamales!!! I was so pleased.... what a great walk I had. Today, I shared my experience with some of my co-workers and told them I had been walking home... they didn't quite understand why.... I got off work and once again started my walk home.... my co-worker drove beside me and asked to give me a ride... "are you sure you don't want a ride at least half way?" No, I'm fine... what's so strange about taking a 40 minute walk? they now think I am weird for doing something that is good for my heart, it's exercise, it helps the environment and it's even therapeutic.... I have to laugh at that really... finding me weird for wanting to walk home not even 2 miles away??? WOW! we depend on cars so much these days... I wish we had better public transportation here... like NYC... I love NYC because u simply don't need a car to get anywhere!!! it's amazing.... I noticed today I started recognizing faces along the way, people waiting for the bus, getting off work... no day is the same... sometimes we simply just don't pay attention to the small details... and at times they just happen to be the most important...

1 comment:

Coca said...

yeah, no day is the same, no city is the same... I love walking when the day takes his last deep breath...I love to watch -when I'm moving with my own feet- the sun goes down... when shadows leaves only scars and melting with the night